Thursday, June 10, 2010

Father's Day Fun Facts

History
Originated in America; In 1910, Mrs. Sonora Smart Dodd came up with the idea during a mother's day.
In 1924,President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father's Day.
In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson signed a proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.
In 1972, President Richard Nixon established Father's Day as a permanent holiday.
The Official flower is a Rose; wear red for the living father and white for the deceased father.

Some famous fathers are: Actors: Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck, Jon Stewart, Jude Law, Tom Cruise, Paul McCartney, Patrick Dempsey and Michael Douglas.

Common Dad's Sayings are:
This is the last warning I'm giving you!
We never did that when we were young!
Will you let me read the paper in peace?
If your friend jumped off the cliff, will you do the same?

It hit me just the other day, summer's just around the corner! My family looks forward to outdoor activities with friends, family and dear old dad!

We are making plans with the family to head out to the cottage in the Muskokas. We're getting the fishing boat out from winter storage, my brother Joe is tuning up the bikes and our Uncle Tony is our summer hiking leader, who checks out some interesting routes to explore that we vote on at our family meeting. Mom's checking our backpacks to have them ready at a moments notice for those weekend adventures! And of course, Dad whose the best BBQ-er ever! The whole family looks forward to his great barbecuing surprise recipes....yummm! I can smell it already!

And should you become more adventurous--check out the campsites around Ontario; RVing, Tenting, trails and when they open for this season.

Let's not forget all the water sports and summer options. The Stanley Cup 2010 won by Chicago Black Hawks!! With World Cup soccer 2010 in South Africa starting shortly with 5 favorite squads participating.

For years, the "Necktie" was a popular Father's Day gift..now more than 21 percent of us think of the "Grill" as a Father's Day gift. This is a great reason for family members to get together...so fill up that cooler with Dad's favourite "brew", and grill food, set up that patio furniture his favourite deck chair and tunes.

Check out JJ's Household grill and more outdoor products!

Have a safe and happy summer !





2 comments:

  1. I love using Swiss cheese in my fondue. I simply love the cheese I guess. I like the touch of sherry there by the way, lol! The next time my girlfriends and I get together, I'll be making this recipe of yours for sure. Thanks for sharing this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's nice! Tell me how it goes over. Thanks.
    jjhe-julia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete